Based in Brooklyn, NY
Sumer eShop Page
Sumer Steam Page
Sumer Kickstarter Page
Early Access Feb 15, 2017
Nintendo Switch Launch April 05, 2018
Full Network Release Q4 2018
Race to harvest, craft, and build in this Euro-style digital board game
Alternate Tag Line
Perform ritual sacrifices to please the goddess Inanna and become the first ruler of Sumer!
Play as Sumerian nobles vying for the affection of the great goddess Inanna. Harvest barley, bid goats at auction, and perform ritual offerings to earn her favor and the right to rule by her side!
In Sumer, you’ll build up a mighty ziggurat and explore a mysterious culture at the dawn of civilization. Beautiful art and atmospheric music bring an ancient Mesopotamian mural to life in this worker placement board game / action game hybrid for up to four players.
In Sumerian mythology, mankind was made to serve the Anunnaki, the heaven-gods. The priest-kings of the first cities gave them beer, bread, and all that is good, and received the divine right of rulership in return. In this retelling, the struggle for power is painted across a living Mesopotamian mural as players compete to fulfill the sacrificial rituals prescribed by heaven. The swiftest and cleverest will ascend the ziggurat and be crowned king or queen.
A digital board game inspired by M.U.L.E. and the Epic of Gilgamesh. Race across the ziggurat to harvest barley, herd goats, and sacrifice to the great goddess Inanna.
Sumer introduces the elegance of modern European board game design to the world of digital games. Its unique mix of turn-based and real-time gameplay creates a tense, cyclical rhythm where players must plan, execute, and adapt in order to achieve victory.
The game is divided into two phases: the Harvest phase and the Auction phase. During the Harvest phase assign your workers to prepare offerings for the gods. Jump up and down the face of a ziggurat to gather resources, then bring them to the altars and sacrifice them for the gods’ Favor. Collect goats, then offer them in the auction to bid on valuable blessings like extra workers, new buildings, or influence-spreading statues. Outbid, outproduce, and outsmart your way to victory!
Studio Wumpus is an indie studio exploring games that combine the strategy of board games with the responsiveness of video games. We’re all designers from the NYU Game Center in Brooklyn, and the team currently works on Sumer from New York, Baltimore, and Iceland.
HistoryDigital Board Games
We began developing Sumer as a way of exploring the junction between board games and videogames. We wanted to take the best of both worlds and get rid of the bad stuff, like the setup time and busywork that tends to bog down even excellent board games. By bringing together elegant board game mechanics with the physics-based execution skill of action video games, we’ve created a cutthroat strategic experience unique among modern games.Before any of us…
...there was M.U.L.E. In 1983, Ozark Softscape released Dani Berry’s masterpiece, a complex economic simulation with real-time interactions between players. The game featured an auction mechanic in which players traded resources by walking up and down a digital space to raise or lower their buy/sell price. Critically acclaimed and beloved amongst game designers, nevertheless it sold poorly and is little known among the new generation of gamers.
We began playing and analyzing M.U.L.E. early on in Sumer’s development. Decades-old interviews with the development team revealed that M.U.L.E. had been designed with inspiration from board games like Monopoly. We wanted to pay tribute to this incredible game and expand on the legacy it should have created. Sumer’s auction is directly inspired by M.U.L.E.’s, reviving a brilliant mechanic that has lain unused for over three decades.
- 3 game modes - Intro for learning, Short for a quick fix, and Full for the deepest experience!
- 1-4 players - Play local with up to 4 players. Master playing solo or try to beat three of your friends.
- Devious AI - A variety of personalities and skill levels raning from newbie-friendly to utterly devious.
- Infinitely replayable - A randomized board set up and a huge variety of different auction items make each playthrough a unique strategic experience.
- A new type of game - Sumer’s mix of board game strategy and video game action has never been seen before.
- Nuanced strategies - There is no single key to winning. Being quick on your feet and making smart long-term investments are both crucial to victory.
- Sumerian culture - We’ve worked with professional historians to bring you the ancient civilization that invented writing, beer, and board games.
- Ancient sounds - Enhance your trip to ancient Mesopotamia with voice acting in the long-lost Sumerian language and the evocative soundtrack by Neil Quillen.
- Customize your gameplay - Play the way you want by turning on variants like Big Head mode and Hidden Auction Items.
- Support for mouse, keyboard, and controllers - Mouse and keyboard players are separate, so 2 players can play even if you don’t own a controller!
Screenshots & Gifs
If you have specific requests, please contact us!
Promotional Banners & Logos
Awards & Recognition
- Bit Awards "Best Student Game" Winner, Winter 2017
- Indie Megabooth MEGABOOTH Selection, PAX East 2018, PAX East 2017.
- PAX Rising Selection, PAX South 2018.
- Devolver Digital E3 Indie Picnic, E3 2017.
- BitSummit Kickstarter Selection, BitSummit 2017.
- Indie Megabooth MINIBOOTH Selection, PAX East 2017.
- Taipei Game Show Official Indie House and Indie Festa Selection 2017.
- Kickstarter Funded and "Project We Love", May 2016.
- IGF Honorable Mention for Best Student Game 2016.
- Playcrafting Annual Awards Best Gameplay Nomination 2015.
- NYU Game Center Incubator Selection 2015.
- Greenlit on Steam.
- Boston Festival of Indie Games Official Selection 2015.
- "It's a very unusual, clever idea, and by the time I was done with it I wanted to play more of it."
- Chris Remo, Idle Thumbs Podcast
- "Fun, snappy, smartly-designed stuff."
- Matt Lees, Shut Up & Sit Down
- "Sumer takes the best parts of board games and the best parts of video games… and adds the best parts of bankrupting your friends and stealing their goats."
- Bennett Foddy, Designer of QWOP and Getting Over It
- "A beautiful meld of board game and video game, the designers of Sumer are blending the strengths of both mediums to create new and fantastically fun ways of play."
- Noam Strassfeld, President of The Megagame Society
- "Imagine an RTS where they replaced clicking with jumping and debilitating frustration with fun."
- Gabe Cuzzillo, Gorilla Loves Company
Selected Press Coverage
- "GDC 2018: Local Multiplayer Party game 'Out of the Loop' for Mobile and Board Game-inspired 'Sumer' for Nintendo Switch", Touch Arcade, GDC 2018
- "The Dice Tower: Studio Wumpus Interview", The Dice Tower, PAX Unplugged 2017
- "Side-by-Side: Sumer", Tap Repeatedly
- "Sumer time and the living ain't easy, because someone else got to the goat pen first", Quarter To Three
- "Sumer Preview — A Divine Blend of Video Gaming and Board Gaming", DualShockers, PAX Unplugged 2017
- "PAX Unplugged Interview on Sumer", Gameosity, PAX Unplugged 2017
- "Sumer: Eurogaming Meets Platforming In Mesopotamia", Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "Sumer: A Digital Board Game with an Ancient Twist", Ancient History Et Cetera
- "Söguleikurinn Sumer safnar þumlum á Steam Greenlight", Nörd Norðursins
A soundcloud link to the music.
Game Designer, Lead Programmer
Art Director, Game Designer, Programmer
Game Designer, Sound Director, Programmer
Game Designer, Creative Director, Producer
Repeating Collaborators(In alpha order)
Copywriting and Editing
Graphic Design, Illustration & Animation, Freelancer
Voice Work, Freelancer
Voice Work, Freelancer